As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. See Full Disclosure Here
Nothing feels quite as refreshing and welcoming as the sights and sounds of spring.
As the dull, dreary winter months give way to the warm sunshine of spring, it’s time to get out of that cold-weather funk.
That means opening out the windows and welcoming the wonderful scents of the outdoors.
It also means clearing out the dust and clutter that’s accumulated over winter.
Yes, it’s time for the annual spring-cleaning ritual!
Essential oils can help you take your spring cleaning to the next level by adding a natural, refreshing scent to your cleaning routine.
WHY USE ESSENTIAL OILS FOR SPRING CLEANING?
Essential oils are 100% pure, all-natural extracts obtained from various plant parts. They contain no preservatives or chemicals and are absolutely safe to use for spring cleaning the home.
The best essential oils for spring cleaning are those with antimicrobial properties.
Antimicrobial essential oils do the same job as commercial cleaners. They kill invisible microbes lying hidden on, under, and between surfaces. The difference is they do it without creating other problems.
Using essential oils for house cleaning offers several other benefits too.
They fill your home with a wonderful, refreshing aroma that’s packed with therapeutic properties.
Unlike commercial cleaners, you don’t have to work about experiencing adverse effects or toxic reactions when you use essential oils for cleaning.
Best Essential Oils For Spring Cleaning
There are many essential oils to choose from, but some are better suited for cleaning than others.
Not surprisingly, the best essential oils for cleaning are those that have antimicrobial and antifungal properties. After all, the main goal is to get rid of those lurking invisible germs.
The bonus? All of these antimicrobial essential oils smell good too.
Lemon, peppermint, tea tree, lavender, and eucalyptus are the best essential oils for spring cleaning.
Lemon is effective for cutting through grease and grime.
Tea Tree and Peppermint are powerful disinfectants.
Lavender and Eucalyptus help freshen up the air in your home.
I love that Plant Therapy combines all of these essential oils for cleaning in one convenient and budget-friendly Cleaning Set.
The Cleaning Set includes one 10ml bottle each of Lemon, Lavender, Tea Tree, and Peppermint essential oils. The set also includes a bottle each of Citrus Burst and Germ Fighter – two propriety blends formulated for non-toxic cleaning.
Special Mention: Plant Therapy’s Multi-Surface Cleaner Concentrates
When it comes to spring cleaning with essential oils, the Multi-Surface Cleaner Concentrates from Plant Therapy deserve special mention.
There are two variants – Multi-Surface Cleaner with Defender Blend, and Multi-Surface Cleaner with Germ Fighter Blen.
All three contain naturally derived, plant-based ingredients that cut through grease and grime, cleaning tough messes on most sealed surfaces. The only difference is in the combination of essential oils, which results in different aromas.
These multi-surface cleaner concentrates can be used to clean countertops, tile, stovetops, and the inside of your microwave.
To make it even more convenient and eco-friendly, the concentrates are paired with 16 fl. oz. reusable glass spray bottles, which are designed to eliminate the guesswork of mixing.
To use, simply pour the entire content of one concentrate bottle into the 16 fl. oz. spray bottle. Fill the rest of the bottle with water, shake, and use!
Using these essential oil cleaners allows you to keep your family healthy and free from harsh chemicals while also enjoying the fresh, clean aroma of the blend.
HOW TO USE ESSENTIAL OILS FOR SPRING CLEANING
Lemon essential oil has that quintessential spring scent – fresh, citrusy, and energizing. Its aroma combined with its powerful antiseptic and antibacterial properties makes this one of the best essential oils for spring cleaning.
Its stain-fighting and bleaching properties make lemon essential oil a favorite addition to washing loads that need extra help with stain removal.
Lemon oil can be used by itself for multiple spring cleaning applications. Alternatively, it can be paired with other products for specific purposes.
HOW TO USE LEMON ESSENTIAL OIL FOR CLEANING
• Add 3-4 drops to your steam mop and use on wood or laminate flooring for a clean look and fresh smell.
• Freshen up sheets and towels by adding 4- 5 drops of lemon essential oil to a wash load before turning on the washing machine.
• Add 4-5 drops to a spray bottle filled with vinegar and water to make an all-natural surface cleaner for your kitchen and bathroom countertops.
• In a spray bottle add 1/4 cup of water, 1/4 cup of white vinegar, and 15 drops of Lemon Oil for a homemade window cleaner that will leave your windows clean and streak-free.
• 2 drops of lemon oil mixed with 3 teaspoons of olive oil make a nourishing, non-toxic polish for wood furniture.
• Add a few drops to a gallon of water prior to mopping.
Its energizing, invigorating smell and powerful antibacterial properties make peppermint another popular essential oil for spring cleaning purposes.
Peppermint essential oil combined with vinegar works as a powerful disinfectant for kitchen surfaces as well as bathrooms and toilets.
The scent of peppermint is great for getting rid of those lingering musty odors.
HOW TO USE PEPPERMINT OIL FOR CLEANING
• Add 1/4 cup of vinegar, 2 cups of water, and 5 drops peppermint oil to a spray bottle. Shake it gently to combine all ingredients. Use as a surface cleaner for appliances, kitchen countertops, sinks, bathrooms, and toilets.
• Add a few drops of peppermint oil to baking soda and sprinkle on the carpet. Leave for a few minutes before vacuuming to eliminate carpet odor.
• Get rid of pesky bugs by spraying with water with a few drops of peppermint oil.
• Add 2-3 drops peppermint oil to baking soda and keep in an open jar for an instant room deodorizer.
The proven antibacterial and antifungal properties of tea tree make this the best essential oil for fighting mold and mildew in the shower, bath, and other areas of the home.
Because tea tree oil essential oil is non-toxic, you don’t have to worry about leaving it on surfaces for extended periods of time to fight mold and mildew.
You can also add melaleuca oil to musty laundry items such as towels, sheets, gym clothes, or cloth diapers.
HOW TO USE TEA TREE OIL FOR CLEANING
• 3-4 drops of tea tree oil added to a spray bottle with water acts as an effective, nontoxic anti-mildew spray. Spray over any surface and let it soak in a few minutes before wiping the area clean.
• Add 4-5 drops to the laundry wash cycle to get rid of the musty odor from sheets, towels, or other fabrics.
• Make a natural, nontoxic scrub for your tub by mixing 1 cup of baking soda, 1 tablespoon of castile soap, 1 tablespoon of water, and 15 drops of Tea Tree Oil.
TIPS FOR SPRING CLEANING With Essential Oils
Choose the right essential oils for the purpose.
Less is more when it comes to adding essential oils to any home-cleaning recipe. Essential oils are powerful. A few drops can go a long way.
Always use gloves when spring cleaning with essential oils. Concentrated oils can cause itching and rash if they come in direct contact with your skin.
Avoid using oils in areas where young babies or pets touch the surfaces.
Keep all cleaning solutions out of reach of young children and pets.
SPRING CLEANING RECIPES
You’ll find some easy recipes for spring cleaning your home at these links:
SAVE MONEY ON SPRING CLEANING ESSENTIAL OILS
Whether you want to use essential oils in your diffuser, bath, DIY projects, or spring cleaning, buying individual oils can get very expensive very fast. One way to cut down on the cost is by buying a set of essential oils that includes at least some of the oils you need.
The Cleaning Set from Plant Therapy is great value for money and the best set to buy when you want to use essential oils for cleaning. You can then buy individual essential oil bottles to replenish the set as each bottle gets over.
If you want to use essential oils for different purposes other than cleaning, you may want to take a look at his list of Best Essential Oil Sets. Here you’ll find a variety of high-quality essential oil sets at budget-friendly prices from reputed brands.
Disclaimer: This information is not intended to serve as medical advice. Please consult your doctor before using any natural medication or if you experience any unusual symptoms. See Full Disclaimer here.