Nothing feels quite as refreshing and welcoming as the sights and sounds of spring. As the dull, dreary winter months give way to the warm sunshine of spring, it’s time to get out of that cold-weather funk. That means opening out the windows and welcoming the wonderful scents of the outdoors. It also means clearing out the dust and clutter that’s accumulated over winter. Yes, it’s time for the annual spring-cleaning ritual.
If you’ve always used store-bought products for household cleaning, it’s time to stop. We can no longer ignore the fact that these cleaners contain harsh, toxic chemicals that are hazardous to your health in the long term. It’s not worth it. Spring cleaning with essential oils is a gentler and safer alternative.
Why Use Essential Oils for Spring Cleaning?
Essential oils are 100% pure, all-natural extracts obtained from various plant parts. They contain no preservatives or chemicals and are absolutely safe to use for a variety of purposes. What some oils do have though are strong antimicrobial properties.
Antimicrobial essential oils do the same job as commercial cleaners. They kill those invisible microbes lying hidden on, under and between surfaces. The difference is they do it without creating other problems.
Using essential oils for house cleaning offers several other benefits. The essential oils you use will fill your home with a wonderful, refreshing aroma. You also get the health benefits of whichever oil you use. Moreover, you don’t have to worry about experiencing any adverse effects or toxic reactions when you use essential oils for spring cleaning.
Before talking about the best essential oils for home cleaning, it’s important to understand a few things.
Few Things to Know When Using Essential Oils for Spring Cleaning
Do not be overly generous when adding essential oils to any home-cleaning recipe. Essential oils are powerful. A few drops can go a long way.
Always use gloves when spring cleaning with essential oils. Concentrated oils can cause itching and rash if they come in direct contact with your skin.
Do not use oils in areas where young babies or pets touch the surfaces.
Keep all cleaning solutions out of reach of young children and pets.
Best Essential Oils for Spring Cleaning Your Home & How to Use Them
The best essential oils for spring cleaning your home are those that have antimicrobial and antifungal properties. After all, the main aim is to get rid of those lurking invisible germs. The bonus? All of these antimicrobial essential oils smell good too.
Lemon essential oil has that quintessential spring scent – fresh, citrusy and energizing. Its aroma combined with its powerful antiseptic and antibacterial properties make this one of the best essential oils for spring cleaning.
Its stain-fighting and bleaching properties make lemon essential oil a favorite addition to wash loads that need extra help with stain removal.
Lemon oil can be used by itself for multiple spring cleaning applications or it can be paired with other products for specific purposes.
How To Use Lemon Essential Oil For Spring Cleaning
- Add 3-4 drops to your steam mop and use on wood or laminate flooring for a clean look and fresh smell.
- Freshen up sheets and towels by adding 4- 5 drops of lemon essential oil to a wash load before turning on the washing machine.
- Add 4-5 drops to a spray bottle filled with water to make an all-natural surface cleaner for your kitchen and bathroom countertops.
- In a spray bottle add 1/4 cup of water, 1/4 cup of white vinegar and 15 drops of Lemon Oil for a homemade window cleaner that will leave your windows clean and streak-free.
- 2 drops of lemon oil mixed with 3 teaspoons of olive oil makes a nourishing, non-toxic polish for wood furniture.
- Add a few drops to a gallon of water prior to mopping.
Its energizing, invigorating smell and powerful antibacterial properties make peppermint another popular essential oil for spring cleaning purposes. It works as a powerful disinfectant for kitchen surfaces as well as bathrooms and toilets when added to vinegar or castile soap.
Peppermint essential oil is great for getting rid of those lingering musty odors that are inevitable after winter. It is also a natural pest deterrent.
How to Use Peppermint Oil for Spring Cleaning
- Add 1/4 cup of vinegar, 2 cups of water, and 5 drops Peppermint Oil to a spray bottle. Shake it gently to combine all ingredients. Use as a surface cleaner for appliances, kitchen countertops, sinks, bathrooms, and toilets.
- Add a few drops to baking soda and sprinkle on the carpet. Leave for a few minutes before vacuuming to eliminate carpet odor.
- Get rid of pesky bugs by spraying with water with a few drops of peppermint oil.
- Add 2-3 drops peppermint oil to baking soda and keep in an open jar for an instant room deodorizer.
TEA TREE OIL
The proven antibacterial and antifungal properties of tea tree make this the best essential oil for fighting mold and mildew in the shower, bath and other areas of the home. Because tea tree oil is non-toxic, you don’t have to worry about leaving it on surfaces for extended periods of time to fight mold and mildew.
You can also add melaleuca oil to musty laundry items such as towels, sheets, gym clothes, or cloth diapers.
How to Use Teae Tree Oil for Household Cleaning
- 3-4 drops of tea tree oil added to a spray bottle with water acts as an effective, nontoxic anti-mildew spray. Spray over any surface and let it soak in a few minutes before wiping the area clean.
- Add 4-5 drops to the laundry wash cycle to get rid of musty odor from sheets, towels or other fabrics.
- Make a natural, nontoxic scrub for your tub by mixing 1 cup of baking soda, 1 tablespoon of castile soap, 1 tablespoon of water and 15 drops of Tea Tree Oil.
Plant Therapy Deodorizing Synergy Essential Oil Blend
Plant Therapy’s Deodorizing Synergy Essential Oil Blend contains lemon, patchouli, bergamot, tea tree, pink grapefruit, cypress, palmarosa, and coriander seed, for a powerful naturally odor-fighting blend.
The blend has a crisp, bright scent that is slightly herbaceous and fruity and helps zap the odors in their path. Ideal to use directly in your diffuser or to make a gentle homemade deodorant that is effective at keeping odors away all day long.
How to Use Plant Therapy Deodorizing Synergy Essential Oil
To make a spray that eliminates funky odors, mix 1 part Deodorizing Synergy to 100 parts witch hazel. Mix the ingredients in a dark-colored glass spray bottle. Swirl the bottle to mix well.
Spray your homemade deodorizer around the room, in a gym bag or inside your shoes.
Spring Cleaning Recipes
You’ll find some easy recipes for spring cleaning your home at these links:
Save Money On Spring Cleaning Essential Oils
Whether you want to use essential oils in your diffuser, bath, DIY projects or spring cleaning, buying individual oils can get very expensive very fast. One way to cut down on the cost is by buying a set of essential oils that includes at least some of the oils you need. Start with the essential oils you have in the set. You can then supplement the set slowly by then buying individual bottles of essential oil.
This list of Best Essential Oil Sets is a great place to start when you want to save money on high quality oils. Here you’ll find several sets of 100% pure essential oils by reputed brands.
Disclaimer: This information is not intended to serve as medical advice. Please consult your doctor before using any natural medication or if you experience any unusual symptoms. See Full Disclaimer here.