Do you feel the room spinning as you try and get out of bed to grab a glass of water?
Partying the night away feels great – but the mind-bending hangover that follows the morning after…not so much.
That’s okay though. As bad as it feels at the time, it’s just temporary. There are a few tried and tested home remedies that can help you get over your hangover blues.
One of these home remedies for hangovers includes the use of aromatherapy and essential oils.
When it comes to essential oils for hangovers, there’s good news and there’s bad news.
The bad news is that essential oils cannot prevent those nasty symptoms. The only way to prevent a hangover is to drink in moderation but that’s no fun now is it?
The good news is aromatherapy and essential oils can help calm those dreadful hangover symptoms and make you feel better fast.
Let’s take a look at what essential oils are good for hangovers and how to use them.
I’ve also included a few DIY essential oil recipes and other natural remedies for hangovers.
Peppermint Oil for Hangovers
Peppermint is one of the best essential oils for hangovers. Inhaling the aroma of peppermint essential oil will calm down that pounding headache and curb the intense nausea that can incapacitate you the morning after.
Peppermint essential oil for hangovers is particularly effective when combined with sweet orange or lemon essential oil. The combination of aromas will give you an instant rush of energy and clear your head.
Check out more benefits of peppermint essential oil.
How to use peppermint essential oil to cure your hangover
Here are some ways to use peppermint essential oil for hangovers:
- Rub a drop of peppermint oil on your temples to calm that throbbing headache. Remember to mix the peppermint oil with a carrier oil before applying to your skin.
- Put a few drops into your diffuser and breathe in the fresh, zesty aroma while still lying in bed.
- Before you step into the shower, plug the drain, add a few drops of the oil to the shower floor and open the hot water faucet. Inhaling the peppermint-infused steam will provide instant relief.
- Placing a drop or two of the oil on your stomach can help soothe that nauseous feeling.
Lavender Essential Oil for Hangovers
Lavender is an amazing essential oil with a long list of benefits. Its properties as a relaxant and anti-inflammatory are almost legendary.
Both of these properties work together to calm and balance your mind, body and nervous system, offering you much-needed relief when you are reeling from a hangover.
It can help with many of your hangover symptoms, including nausea, stomach pain, fatigue, and headaches.
How to use lavender essential oil to cure your hangover
- The best way to use lavender essential oil for a hangover is by adding a few drops to your diffuser. As you sit back and breathe in the relaxing aroma, you will feel your headache and discomfort fade away.
- Rub a few drops of lavender to your forehead, temples or wrists to accelerate the relaxing feeling.
What you should know about using peppermint and lavender essential oils for your hangover
Both of these oils are very effective at calming the symptoms but they work slightly differently. The best oil to use for your hangover will depend on the symptoms you are experiencing.
- Use lavender oil to ease that throbbing headache and relax your body as you recover.
- Use peppermint oil to soothe that nauseous feeling.
Have a headache AND nausea? Place 10 drops of lavender oil + 10 drops of peppermint oil in your diffuser. Lie down and relax while these oils work to sober you up.
Grapefruit Oil for Hangovers
The sweet, fresh scent of grapefruit can feel like a calm in the storm when you have a particularly bad hangover and it feels like you have gigantic church bells clanging inside your head.
Grapefruit essential oil is especially useful for chronic pain, especially migraines, which is what makes it a great choice for soothing a hangover headache. The refreshing scent can reinvigorate you, without overwhelming your senses in the morning when you probably have quite a bit of nausea.
Grapefruit oil also helps boost your mood and give you the energy you need while getting over your hangover.
In addition, the vitamin C in grapefruit essential oils provides antioxidants for your immune system if you add it to a hot cup of tea or other beverage or food.
How to use grapefruit essential oil to cure your hangover
Here are some ways to use grapefruit essential oil for hangovers:
- Rub a drop of grapefruit oil directly on your temples and forehead to calm that raging headache.
- Put a few drops of grapefruit oil and peppermint oil into your diffuser and breathe in the aroma while still lying in bed.
- Add a drop of the oil to a cup of black tea and sip slowly. Grapefruit oil is rich in Vitamin C and oxidants, both of which get depleted when you drink too much. This helps replenish the body’s reserves of these important immune-boosting nutrients.
Ginger Essential Oil for Hangovers
It probably comes as no surprise that ginger is often listed top three in any list of best essential oils for hangovers.
Ginger is often used for nausea and general digestive health, so when you are dealing with nausea the night after drinking more than usual, this can help tremendously.
Ginger essential oil has several other healing benefits as well, from protecting your liver to helping boost your energy.
How to use ginger essential oil to cure your hangover
As with all other essential oils for hangovers, you can add a few drops of ginger oil to your aromatherapy diffuser and breathe in the aroma.
Another way to use ginger essential oil for your hangover is by mixing a drop with jojoba or any other carrier oil and rubbing it gently over your forehead and temples.
Best Essential Oil Blend Recipes for Hangovers
While any of the above essential oils will work by themselves to calm your discomfort, if time is of essence you should use an essential oil blend for your hangover. An essential oil blend that combines two or more of the best essential oils for hangovers will have a more powerful effect.
Any of these essential oil blends will work great so just go ahead and choose any of the recipes, depending on which oils you have handy at home.
Refreshing Hangover Relief Blend
4 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
4 drops Lavender Essential Oil
4 drops Grapefruit Essential Oil
Put all the oils in your diffuser. Switch on the diffuser. Lie back down and breathe the aromas of this powerful blend.
Soothing Hangover Diffuser Blend
4 drops Lavender Essential Oil
3 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
2 drops Rosemary Essential Oil
2 drops Grapefruit Essential Oil
Don’t wait till the morning after a party to stock up on your essential oils. Buy any one or two essential oils for hangovers and keep them handy to use when you need them.
- Disclaimer: This information is not intended to serve as medical advice. Please consult your doctor before using any natural medication or if you experience any unusual symptoms. See Full Disclaimer here.