As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. See Full Disclosure Here
Woken up with a throbbing headache, dizziness, nausea, or dehydration after a night of wild partying?
Do you feel the room spinning as you try and get out of bed to grab a glass of water?
Partying the night away feels great – but the mind-bending hangover that follows the morning after…not so much.
That’s okay though. As bad as it feels at the time, it’s just temporary. And you know what, by the time the next celebration or the next weekend rolls around, you’ll forget all about it and be ready to do it all over again!
There are a few tried and tested home remedies that can help you get over your hangover blues. One of these home remedies for hangovers includes the use of aromatherapy and essential oils.
When it comes to essential oils for hangovers, there’s good news and there’s bad news.
The bad news is that essential oils cannot prevent those nasty symptoms. The only way to prevent a hangover is to drink in moderation but that’s no fun now is it?
The good news is aromatherapy and essential oils can help calm those dreadful hangover symptoms and help you feel better faster.
Let’s take a look at what essential oils are good for hangovers and how to use them.
I’ve also included a few DIY essential oil recipes and other natural remedies for hangovers.
Best Essential Oils for Hangovers
Peppermint Oil for Hangovers
Peppermint is one of the best essential oils for hangovers. Inhaling that minty aroma helps to calm that pounding headache and curb intense nausea that can incapacitate you the morning after the night before.
Peppermint essential oil for hangovers is particularly effective when combined with sweet orange or lemon essential oil. The combination of aromas will give you an instant rush of energy and clear your head.
How to use peppermint essential oil for your hangover
Here are some ways to use peppermint essential oil for hangovers:
- Put a few drops of peppermint oil into your diffuser and breathe in the fresh, zesty aroma while still lying in bed.
- Mix 2 drops of peppermint oil with a carrier oil such as jojoba or coconut oil. Gently rub this oil mix on your temples for a few minutes. Sit back and inhale the minty aroma of peppermint. Breathing in the aroma and the topical application both work simultaneously to calm that throbbing headache.
- Before you step into the shower, plug the drain, add a few drops of the oil to the shower wall and open the hot water faucet. Inhaling the peppermint-infused steam will ease that headache and snap you out of your funk. Putting the drops on the floor will cause them to get washed away with the water and you won’t get the beneficial effects.
Lavender Essential Oil for Hangovers
Lavender is an amazing essential oil with a long list of benefits. Its properties as a relaxant and anti-inflammatory are almost legendary. Both of these properties work together to calm and balance your mind, body, and nervous system, offering you much-needed relief when you’re reeling from a hangover.
What makes lavender essential oil so effective for a hangover is that it helps reduce more than one hangover symptom. In addition to calming the nervous system, it also works to calm that searing headache, calm that nausea, and soothe stomach pain.
How to use lavender essential oil to cure your hangover
- The best way to use lavender essential oil for a hangover is by adding a few drops to your diffuser. As you sit back and breathe in the relaxing aroma, it will slowly reduce both the headache and nausea.
- Rub a few drops of the oil to your forehead, temples, or wrists for faster relief. Remember to mix the oil in a few drops of carrier oil before rubbing it on your skin. Essential oils are very potent and should never be applied to the skin in their concentrated form. The best carrier oils to use for this purpose are jojoba or coconut.
What you should know about using peppermint & lavender essential oils for your hangover
Both of these oils are very effective at calming the symptoms but they work slightly differently. The best oil to use for your hangover will depend on the symptoms you are experiencing.
- Use lavender essential oil to ease that throbbing headache and relax your body as you recover.
- Use peppermint essential oil to soothe that nauseous feeling.
Have a headache AND nausea? Place 5 drops of lavender essential oil + 5 drops of peppermint essential oil in your diffuser. Lie down and relax while these oils work to sober you up.
Grapefruit Oil for Hangovers
The sweet, fresh scent of grapefruit can feel like a calm in the storm when you have a particularly bad hangover and it feels like you have gigantic church bells clanging inside your head.
Grapefruit essential oil is especially useful for alleviating pain, especially migraines, which is what makes it a great choice for soothing a hangover headache. The refreshing scent can reinvigorate you, without overwhelming your senses in the morning when you probably have quite a bit of nausea.
Grapefruit oil also helps boost your mood and gives you the energy you need while getting over your hangover.
In addition, the vitamin C in grapefruit essential oils provides antioxidants for your immune system if you add it to a hot cup of tea or other beverage or food.
How to use grapefruit essential oil to cure your hangover
Here are some ways to use grapefruit essential oil for hangovers:
- Mix 2 drops of grapefruit essential oil with a carrier oil such as coconut or jojoba, and rub this blend gently on your temples and forehead to calm that raging headache.
- Put a few drops of grapefruit and peppermint oil into your diffuser and breathe in the aroma while still lying in bed.
- Add a drop of the oil to a cup of black tea and sip slowly. Grapefruit oil is rich in Vitamin C and oxidants, both of which get depleted when you drink too much. This helps replenish the body’s reserves of these important immune-boosting nutrients.
Ginger Essential Oil for Hangovers
It probably comes as no surprise that ginger is often listed among the top three in any list of best essential oils for hangovers.
Ginger is often used to reduce nausea and to boost digestive health, so when you are dealing with nausea the night after drinking more than usual, this essential oil is very effective.
Ginger essential oil has several other healing benefits as well, from protecting your liver to helping boost your energy.
How to use ginger essential oil to cure your hangover
As with all other essential oils for hangovers, you can add a few drops of ginger oil to your aromatherapy diffuser and breathe in the aroma.
Another way to use ginger essential oil for your hangover is by mixing a drop with jojoba or any other carrier oil and rubbing it gently over your forehead and temples.
Best Essential Oil Blend Recipes for Hangovers
While any of the above essential oils will work by themselves to calm your discomfort, if time is of essence you should use an essential oil blend for your hangover. An essential oil blend that combines two or more of the best essential oils for hangovers will have a more powerful effect.
Any of these essential oil blends will work great so just go ahead and choose any of the recipes, depending on which oils you have handy at home.
Refreshing Hangover Relief Blend
Put all the oils in your diffuser. Switch on the diffuser. Lie back down and breathe the aromas of this powerful blend.
Soothing Hangover Diffuser Blend
Use the same way as the first blend.
Don’t wait till the morning after a party to stock up on your essential oils. Buy any one or two essential oils for hangovers and keep them handy to use when you need them.
Disclaimer: This information is not intended to serve as medical advice. Please consult your doctor before using any natural medication or if you experience any unusual symptoms. See Full Disclaimer here.