As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. See Full Disclosure Here
Aloe Vera is one of the more widely used medicinal plants. It’s amazing how many uses it has in the area of natural healing.
While the Aloe Vera plant itself is about 99% water, the remaining 1% contains powerful nutrients that work together to provide numerous medicinal and health values.
These ingredients include vitamins, minerals, amino acids, anthraquinones, enzymes, lignins, saponins, fatty acids and salicylic acid.
It’s fascinating to read how all these ingredients work together to give Aloe Vera its considerable healing and medicinal properties.
These are some of the many benefits of Aloe Vera:
Soothes Skin Irritations
Topical applications of Aloe Vera are effective in treating psoriasis, dermatitis, surgical wounds, and many other skin conditions. In a study conducted by the Department of Clinical Physiology in Sweden, 30 patients who suffered from psoriasis were treated with Aloe Vera cream, and the other 30 were given a placebo. The cure rate among those who received Aloe Vera was 83% compared to 7% percent in the placebo group. There were also no relapses reported after twelve months.
Effective Treatment for Burns
The gel of the Aloe Vera plant has a protective effect against radiation damage to the skin. When Aloe Vera is used on burns, it helps the area to heal at a faster rate by preventing the UV-induced suppression.
Heals Cold Sores
When used a few times a day, Aloe Vera eases the discomfort and speeds the healing process of cold cores thanks to it antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties. Since Aloe Vera is also safe to be consumed orally, there’s nothing to worry about even if you ingest it.
Stabilizes Blood Sugars
Aloe Vera has been shown to reduce the levels of blood glucose and serum triglyceride concentrations. This makes it a good choice for those who are diabetic as a natural way to balance their blood sugars.
Moisturizes Hair And Scalp
The many nutrients found in Aloe Vera support and promote the health of your hair and scalp. Can help naturally curb dandruff and dryness of the scalp that causes itching.
Boosts the Immune System
Enzymes in Aloe Vera help break down protein in food to turn them into amino acids that feed muscle and also fuel cells in the body, which promotes healthy functioning and gives a natural boost to the immune system.
There are an incredible number of vitamins and minerals present in Aloe vera that aid in the reduction of inflammation and fight free radical damage.
Aloe Vera contains both anti-inflammatory and laxative components. As a result, Aloe Vera juice can normalize acidity and balance pH to reduce the formation of yeast. This encourages digestive bacteria and regularizes bowel processing.
Potential Cancer Fighting Properties
While there is more research that needs to be done on this, a study that was published in Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine looked at the therapeutic properties of one of the compounds in the plant’s leaves, called Aloe Emodin. The authors suggest that the succulent shows potential to slow the growth of breast cancer. However, it isn’t conclusive.
Aloe Vera is easy to find just about anywhere. You can grow your aloe plant at home, or you can purchase aloe gel, latex, juice and extracts at your local health food store.
It is important to ensure that you read the labels of the Aloe products before purchasing to ensure the product you purchase is certified, as uncertified products may not offer you the same benefits. Having your plant is the easiest and least expensive way to reap all of the medicinal benefits of Aloe Vera on a regular basis.
Have you tried the healing benefits of Aloe Vera? Do share your experience in the comments below.